Sunday, May 17, 2009

Ogden Half Marathon 2009

Saturday, May 16, 2009 was the annual Ogden Marathon, Half-Marathon, 5K and Kids K. I ran the half last year, so I decided to go for it again. It is a fun race to do. The organizers of this event go all out. It is well done race. I ran the race and improved my time by nine minutes from last year, so I was very excited. The only thing I don't like about the race is the early morning. My sister-in-law Kallie and I both ran the half, and we had to catch the bus in front of the Ogden City building at 5 am. I got up about 3:50 am to get up and eat breakfast, and get to Kallie's house to carpool over. We caught the bus and got up to Eden Park at about 5:45 am to stand around and wait in the cold around a crowded fire until the race started at 7 am. As I think about it though if that is the only way to do it and still have the race start at that time - I'll do it, just because I don't want the race to start any later.

So it was kind of a family affair, Kallie and I ran the half, John's mom Marilyn ran the 5k and won her age division, my other sister-in-law Tara ran the 5k and got a PR (she was even sick the week before and the day of too! ), and Summer and Whitney both ran the kids K! Summer ran the whole way with John's mom (because I got sick after my race and couldn't run), and Whitney finished but had to make a couple of bathroom stops along the way because she guzzled a gatorade before the race. Marilyn said she asked Summer once if she wanted to walk and Summer turned to her and said "no grandma, it is a race!" She is a little competitive (hmmm, wonder where she gets that from?! ;)

John was an awesome cheerleader and support. He woke up with me before 4 in the morning and was way more bright eyed and bushy tailed than I was. He was getting me all pumped up for the race and asking what he could do to help me get ready, he helped me get my breakfast and everything together. Then he got the girls up when it was time to go to see his mom and Tara run the 5k. He showed them how to ring their cow-bells and yell "Go Mom!", "Go Tara!", "Go Oma!", "Go Kallie!". He had them practicing a little. They catch on quick and end up cheering on all the runners. There were some male runners coming in for the half that didn't have their shirts on and Whitney would yell "Go naked guy!" :)

The few days before the race I was thinking, "Why did I sign up for this? What am I thinking to go and run 13 miles!" but after running the race and having the fun day, I'm pretty sure I will sign up for next year too. It really is a fun race and well organized and put together. Plus the course is a good course - mostly downhill. I would highly recommend this to anyone, but watch ogdenmarathon.com and sign up early because it sold out this year!

Anybody up for a run let me know, I'd love to get out!!

I like this picture because it is blurry, so you can't really see me, but also it makes me look like I am going faster than I was!




So happy to be finished!



This is Tara coming into the chute to finish with her PR!



Kallie in the home stretch of 13.1 miles!!




Marilyn with her award of 1st for her age division.


Summer running the Kids K with Oma (Thanks for the picture Tara!)


John helping Whitney in the Kids K




The Diamond runner girls!!






This is the drive home! What a long and fun day!


7 comments:

  1. Fun pictures!! Congrats again on your amazing new record. I have so much respect for you doing it and finishing with such a great time. Someday I'll try to run the half.... Good thing that picture of me is in the shadows and far away! That was a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least someone was there to root on my wife

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!! I bet the girls loved it. Great job to you and your family! Brian missed it because he went to sign up too late, so maybe next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. I love the picture of the girls sleepy on the way home. I am sure they were exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I could never run that far. We took 3 of our kids to the kids K. It was so fun! I really like how they organize it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a super fun race!! I think I will just do that one every year! Awesome job on improving by 9 minutes!! You are super cool!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exhausted children... gotta love that!

    ReplyDelete